Monday, October 4, 2010

To Lori: Today is a Good Day!!

I woke up feeling great this morning. Actually it was this afternoon as I didn't wake up until almost 1 PM!!! I don't know how I did that. I do usually sleep a lot and wake up late, but not usually THIS late. Anyway, I just feel good today and wanted to share that.

Green Living
Since I decided to do cloth diapers for Natalie I have been researching them A LOT! Almost obsessively so. Anyway, in reading about them, I naturally came across a lot of articles and blogs and what not about green living. I have never considered myself green (despite the fact that I am a proud Oregonian), but I think I like the idea of it. I was talking to my sister and she is going to make her own laundry soap with a recipe found online. It is supposed to be only 2 cents per load! And I plan on trying this as well. So I am wondering if I should start considering myself green or not because I am planning to try a lot of homemade things (laundry soap and other cleaning and hygiene products).

I guess my biggest attraction to green living is saving money. Second is using natural products. I've been hearing too many details about what goes into already prepared food and I am just not liking it at all! For example, there is a process factories use to clean as much as possible from chicken bones. It turns into this kind of pink puree that is them put in chicken nuggets and hot dogs and such....as the main ingredient. There is a picture of what this looks like, but I will spare you. It is just gross! Anyway, knowing and controlling what is going into the products I use and eat is VERY appealing to me. I also like knowing that products that will be touching my skin are natural. I have REALLY sensitive skin and try all kinds of things to keep it clear and hydrated and my aunt gave me some pure coconut oil to try. It is awesome for my skin! I love it. And it is just one ingredient. Anyway, I think using natural products instead of those with extra chemicals and such are better for me. Maybe not for everyone, but for me they are! So am I considered green? I don't know. I don't feel like I am some kind of hippie that is living off the land and what not. I am not extreme at all and will still continue to live my life much the way I did before. Add that to the fact that I haven't actually (yet) done a lot of the things I am planning.

Mondays
Now that I am not in school I find that I really like Mondays. It means another week has passed and we are that much closer to seeing our little Natalie! Not that I don't appreciate my life as it is now. I do!! But I am still excited. Mondays are also my grocery shopping day. I usually plan out the week's meals and make my list before heading to the store. I actually like grocery shopping most of the time, so that is another thing about Mondays. I also feel like I have more money on Mondays. I guess that is because I do :) There is also usually some errand or other besides the grocery shopping that I need to do. I usually don't want to but at the end of the day I feel like I have done some productive things. Staying at home means I don't always have a lot to do, so I guess it just feels really good to have a purpose.

Well, I think that is all for now. Have a happy day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Green...I love that idea. And the fact that it can save some serious bucks. I've started couponing lately, which is actually another amazing way to save money - we're getting all kinds of cleaning supplies, personal care items, diapers, etc. for FREE or close to free! It's awesome. Takes some time, but is totally worth it.

    Enjoy grocery shopping while you can - with a baby (or at least mine!) it becomes a headache sometimes. :) Get in, get out, as fast as possible now!

    ReplyDelete