Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cribs

I am not sure how many people actually read this blog, but for those that do I would love to hear your opinions on cribs! Here is where I am at right now. I was planning on buying the Graco Sarah crib, but then both my mom and sister warned me against buying a cheaper crib because they don't last as long. But the Graco Sarah has all the certifications plus extra certifications from JPMA, ASTM & CPSC. So I figured it was definitely safe and I talked to Sama about it because after talking to my mom and sister I had started looking at high end used cribs. Sama really doesn't want a used crib and said it wouldn't bother him to have to buy a new crib after 2 kids because the crib is convertible and could still safely be used as a headboard for a full-sized bed. So I figured that would be fine too and we could get the Graco.

And then...

I was reading a comment by someone who said that her toddler always climbed up on the side of the crib to look at her baby brother and that the Graco Lauren (different model) was too flimsy for that. So then I was worried because I don't want the side of the crib breaking and compromising safety. I mentioned this to my sister, who has four boys, and she said that her kids always climbed up on the sides. She also said that when the babies are a little older they bounce around and learn how to climb out of the crib. So that is a concern for me. Even though the cribs have been tested to hold 300 pounds and are extra safe with the extra certifications, I don't think they test for pulling and climbing that happens with toddlers. Though I haven't read as much as I could about these certifications. Anyway, I went to Babies R Us and Burlington where they have displays of cribs and after looking at the different models, I would rather have a sturdier crib. Also, the stores I went to didn't have a display of the Graco Sarah. I have read great things about how sturdy and durable it is, but now I would feel better about purchasing a crib if I could actually see it.

So...

My dilemma now is cost. We are on a tight monthly budget, but we obviously have money saved for the baby. We had hoped that what we saved would be plenty, but we will have to use some of our savings to supplement. We have about $1500 to draw from, but need that to last for the next few months until Sama finishes school. Basically everything is covered in our budget except for emergencies and special occasions like birthdays and Christmas. Sama has also applied for some jobs for winter that would pay better, but we will see what happens. Our crib budget is $200. That was going to also cover the crib mattress (though now I am looking for a used one). Now I think it will mostly cover the crib. And then I might end up paying a little more than that too.

So my question is...

What brands and models of cribs do you have or have you used? Do you have experience with the cheaper cribs and have you had any problems with them? Any advice or comments would be appreciated!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I wish I knew stuff about babies to help you out, but I can try to ask around my ward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preston and I bought the Graco Lauren crib from Walmart and we love it. Granted we don't have any toddlers climbing all over it but for us it was the best combination of low price and durability. I'm sure it's not quite as sturdy as some of the more expensive cribs but it's definitely not flimsy. Based on what I remember seeing when we were looking at cribs, it seems like if you really want a hard-core super durable crib you would have to pay a lot more than $200 for it. Anyways, like I said ours has only been used for 3 months now but we like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly? I know this isn't the popular opinion, but just use a hand-me-down or one from a thrift store. You can find some really beautiful ones in good condition, still relatively new with new safety features (mine are from the 50s and the rails don't raise or lower, but clearly I don't care much about that) at consignment sales, stores, yard sales, etc.

    Trust me. It will be fine. There are so much cooler things to spend your baby money on than a crib. I promise.

    Just my 2 cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our crib was a hand-me-down and it's been just fine. Ethan didn't actually sleep in it until he was around 4 months old; before that, he slept in his bouncy chair or the bassinet that we borrowed. I agree with the girl above me; unless you're planning to keep this first crib FOREVER for all of your children and turn it into a family heirloom or something, I wouldn't splurge on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to those who have commented so far! It sounds like the cheaper cribs are just as safe. I also went to look at the cribs again today and this time I stood on the sides to see just how sturdy they really are. I am pretty sure this is frowned upon, but since they are floor models and not for sale, I didn't feel to bad about it. There were only a couple that didn't feel quite sturdy, but then I am a lot heavier than a baby or even a baby and a toddler together. I think the cheaper crib will be fine. I can't believe how many crib options there are though! It is still overwhelming to me. If anyone else has comments I am still all ears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you are so stressed out. FYI...whichever way you go you will be fine. Understand that I believe that either option would be safe, my only concern with Wal-Mart is how durable it would be and you and Sama already addressed that. I wouldn't use your savings if you don't have to, keep that for when it is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So one of the things I notice most in typing errors is "to" for "too." I try not to be a stickler for those kinds of things and I promise I don't analyze everyone's writing for mistakes. This just happens to be one I notice...and then I made that mistake in my comment! I couldn't believe it and had to address that I actually do know the difference.

    ReplyDelete