Friday, November 4, 2011

Chocolate-Covered Katie

So a few weeks ago my sister found out she has Hashimotos disease. Now she is eating gluten free. I have had a lot of fun experimenting with gluten free recipes for her. Her son has dairy and corn allergies. So there are a lot of tricky things to adjust with recipes sometimes. As I have mentioned before, I am trying to eat healthy and lose weight. A lot of people told my sister that they lost so much weight being gluten free, but that wasn't happening too much for her. Probably because I kept baking her cakes... So I started looking online at some healthy gluten free blogs. I came across some I really like. These are my three favorites so far:

1. Chocolate covered Katie: Oh how grateful I am to Katie! She has such yummy looking recipes that are HEALTHY!Yay! Not all gluten free, but many of them are. I made her Ultimate Chocolate Fudge Pie today. It is great! It does have tofu. I know what you're thinking....tofu? In chocolate pie? Umm....no thanks. But seriously, it makes it great. And I am not a tofu person. I don't eat tofu! So if I am okay with it, then anyone can be :) I didn't have the same kind she mentioned and I did get a very very slight aftertaste, but it probably wouldn't if I had had the right kind :) There are a lot of things I am looking forward to trying on here!

2. Elana's Pantry: I found this because I was looking for healthier cake recipes since I am into cake decorating but don't want it to be quite so unhealthy. They look great, but I haven't tried any yet. She also has a cupcake recipe book out that I would love to get! The only trouble is that since it is gluten AND sugar-free/low sugar the ingredients in some of the recipes can get a little pricey. That's because it uses alternative (not synthetic) sweeteners that have a lower glycemic index than refined white sugar. Oh and almond flour. THAT is pricey! Sounds like they are worth it though if you can afford it.

3. Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free: So this is more extreme since it is without so many things I am used to eating. But it does actually have some yummy looking recipes! Desserts plus lots of others. I really like her views on how she eats and why and why. Very interesting to read about.

Hope you enjoy checking out some new blogs. I was excited to find out there were "sugar free" sugars. Does that make sense? No of course not. I just mean sugar that is sweet and (so I have read) delicious without being as bad for you! Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment